Ormidale Licensing Services (OLS) was established by Tom Johnston, for thirty years one of Scotland’s best known licensing lawyers. Since retiring in 2014, Tom has maintained his interest in the subject of liquor licensing. He is actively involved in writing and lecturing on the topic. He sits on two Law Society committees, and is currently secretary of Fife Licensed Trade Association, where he sees licensing life at the sharp end.
Feel free to contact us for a chat on licensing issues on a no obligation basis. Tom is available for consultation or advice, but no longer undertakes licensing board appearance work.
Why Use Us?
Tom has appeared at boards throughout the country, and was regarded as one of the country’s finest licensing board practitioners. As a solicitor he featured both in Chambers Directory and the Legal 500. Other credits include
- Accredited specialist 1994 – 2014
- Member, National Licensing Advisory Group
- Member, Law Society Licensing Sub Committee and Specialist Accreditation Panel
- Author How Not To Lose Your Licence and SWA Guide to the Alcohol etc (Scotland) Act 2010
- Author of quarterly article for the Journal of the Law Society of Scotland
- Regular author, reviewer and lecturer on liquor licensing topics
- Legal adviser to Scottish Grocers’ Federation and Fife Licensed Trade Association.
What’s The Benefit To You?
Originally this section extolled the benefits of engaging the services of OLS: now this website is of much more use to the hungry. See the sections below about Tom Eats! and Tom Cooks!
While the restaurant review page has nothing whatever to do with the practice of licensing, a lifetime away from the law has been spent in the pleasure of producing and eating good food. I have always wanted a forum to pass on these pleasures and I hope you enjoy this feature. Any comments, criticisms or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
Following the success among family and friends of A Bunch of Fives (a privately published cook book, not available for general distribution) the Tom Cooks! column was established in the autumn of 2015. It publishes recipes on a weekly basis, with the emphasis on seasonality. I go on the basis that if I can make them, most home cooks can. Comments will be most welcome. If you have a favourite that you would like to share, send it in.